Sports Project Manager | Portland
Downstream (DS) is a community of visionary designers, account managers, project managers, technologists, graphic and content designers and developers. Collectively, we are a company on the forefront of brand communication, reaching around the globe, building compelling brand experiences for some of the biggest and most dynamic companies in the world.
We are a rapidly growing international company with exciting projects that challenge us to consistently seek out new technologies and methodologies to create the impossible. We are currently seeking a project manager for our Portland office to help build and manage our client based and project capabilities.
We are currently looking for an experienced Sports Project Manager to join our Portland Studio.
Primary Job Description
As an experienced Project Manager, you should have 5+ years experience managing large and complex projects, from ideation and design through to implementation. You will also need to be a Client Management star. This PM role will also be charged with leading a majority of our clients within the sports environment and will have a strong background and knowledge within the sports world.
The role has two key parts where experience in an agency environment is critical:
- You will be responsible for managing, leading and aligning multiple creative and technical partners ensuring best-in-class execution during all phases of a project.
- You will be the key day-to-day contact ensuring outstanding client service where creating open, honest and long-term working relationships are a critical component of this role.
The Sports Project Manager must understand the value of powerful brands and an understanding of how these are translated into a physical environment is desireable. The role is a combination of brand, digital and the build-environment.
This role will have day-to-day communication with a wide range of disciplines including other Designers, Project Managers, AV Engineers, Programmers and Strategists, and that’s just the internal Downstream Team.
Analytical and quick thinking in a fast-paced environment are essential, the PM is an enthusiastic and positive problem solver and thrives on being engaged at all levels of the project across all partner, client and Downstream stakeholders. As the key point of contact for both the Client and the project team, the PM plays a pivotal role in the success of any major engagement.
Success will be measured in a variety of areas including but not limited to:
- Ability to accurately budget and schedule project to defined SOW
- Ability to craft comprehensive project plans and provide a clear roadmap for workflow and resourcing.
- Ability to balance project financial goals as it relates to budget; labor hours, costs and expenses along with delivering innovative and high quality work.
- Ability to distill and communicate client inputs and information that provide the team with the essential information to advance.
- Ability to be seen as a leader and go-to resource at the project level.
Responsibilities and expectations
- Participate in sales and proposals as needed; representing Downstream’s team and culture, knowledgeable of DS’s past work experience, providing input on scope, budget, schedule, assumptions and dependencies if required.
- Project Responsibilities:
- Schedule – Create work plan/project schedules and manage internal team and clients on deliverables. Clearly communicate changes that will affect schedule to clients.
- Budget – Build project budgets with resource tasks and outside expenses. Review budget burn and estimated costs to complete weekly. Use DS Project Management/Accounting software to build and manage budgets and billing.
- Meetings – Plan and facilitate appropriate meetings for projects throughout all phases: planning, reviews, status. Include appropriate team members, schedule in advance.
- Resource Planning – Use resource planning tool to reserve resources each week. Communicate changing resource needs to Production Director and other group leads for prioritization. Set client expectations of deliveries according to resource time available. Map resource plans to budget.
- Project Team Communication – Communicate project plan details, client direction, and DS commitments clearly and without delay to the team. Consistently utilize DS collaboration tools setting standards of best practices.
- Vendors – Negotiate and execute vendor agreements – detailing scope of services and schedule expectations. Create fixed fee purchase order agreements using competitive market value rates.
- Client Communication – Responsible for maintaining relationship within projects. Communicate directly with client on schedule, budget, and project specifics.
- ASR/Change Orders – Actively monitor project risks and scope creep to foresee/identify potential problems and proactively identify solutions in advance. Notify clients of additional budget needed as soon as scope has changed and before work commences. Collaborate with account lead to negotiate ASR specifics with clients.
- Communicate and document project status and strategic recommendations regularly; escalate issues accordingly via the appropriate channels.
- Consistently manage client expectations, ensure delivery of the highest quality service, solicit and act on client feedback
- Manage projects to established processes. Make recommendations for process improvements and changes so that we continue to learn and improve our operational efficiencies.
- Support Downstream’s goals, policies and culture.
- Bachelors degree and at least 5+ years of experience in project management
- Strong understanding of sports and athletic brands
- Ability to travel up to 15-20% of the year
- Exceptional verbal, written, presentation, and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to motivate,support and understand different project teams
- Detail oriented, budget conscious and deadline driven
- Unparalleled competencies in:
- MS Office 365
- InDesign (ideal but not mandatory)
- Project Management Tools: Box, TeamWork, Pivotal Tracker
- Budget tracking software: Webvantage
- Other related project management and common communication tools
Application Process & Requirements
If you feel you have the skills, talent and passion to join the Downstream team, please ensure your resume/portfolio and a cover letter is supplied to be considered for the role. Please also ensure you cover off the following qualifying questions to be considered for the team;
1. Please detail your understanding of Downstream's business offer
2. Please detail why you feel your skills would be a valuable addition to the team
3. Please name x1 Downstream project and one other that inspires you and explain why
No recruiting consultants will be engaged to assist in the recruitment of this role. Please apply with your Cover Letter detailing why you want to work for Downstream and why this role is a relevant fit for you.