UI & Interaction Designer (Portland)
Downstream is a community of multi-disciplinary and visionary designers, account managers, project managers, technologists, content strategists and developers. Collectively, we are a company at the forefront of branded experience design, building compelling experiences for the most dynamic companies in the world.
We are a growing international technology and experience design company with exciting projects that challenge us to seek out methodologies to create the impossible.
Currently in a rapid growth phase, we are seeking a UI & Interaction Designer to join our Portland team. We are looking for someone who can translate client and audience needs into visual designs that consider how people will physically interact in the space.
The UI & Interaction Designer will collaborate closely with our multidisciplinary design teams to shape unique digital experiences that are the right balance of beautiful, usable and functional to realize the goals of our clients.
They will play an essential role in the creative process, applying visual and interaction design knowledge to bespoke digital platforms in the context of physical environments.
The UI & Interaction Designer works with design leads, account leads and project management to ensure client satisfaction.
Salary commensurate with experience.
- Learn about client and audience needs, and contribute to the creative process through participation in discovery workshops and stakeholder meetings
- Bring UX and creative strategy to life through the creation of visual storyboards and mock-ups (styleframes) for concepts and final designs
- Collaborate closely with other disciplines including other designers (UX/visual/space), AV engineers and developers to make informed design decisions
- Present designs and thinking internally and to the client and gather feedback to further enhance designs
- Ensure design integrity and consistency through creation of UI libraries for clients and developers
- Communicate and visualize key interactions and user journeys through the creation of interactive prototypes (e.g. using InVision or similar)
- Create presentation documents and ‘design books’ for the project to be presented and handed over to the client
- Create stunning, industry leading production artwork
- Bring order and consistency to the process of asset collection, proof approval, final artwork approval and archiving production files
- Keep up-to-date with the latest in UI design, including design patterns, interaction design, tools, methodology and technology
- Participate in design reviews with other designers to share work and ideas
- Absolute awareness of project budgets and schedules
Required skills and experience
- 4+ years experience in UI and interaction design
- Ability to translate abstract concepts into simple and elegant user interfaces
- Experience working on large, complex projects
- Proven ability to multi-task and work on several projects simultaneously
- Strong attention to detail and commitment to high quality design standards
- Proficiency in Adobe CC (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Understanding of fundamental usability and user-centered design principles
- Ability to travel occasionally
Desired skills and experience
- Proficiency in Adobe After Effects (or similar motion graphics programs)
- Experience using visual and interactive prototyping tools such as InVision, Marvel and Sketch
- Experience using wireframing tools such as Balsamiq or Axure
- Experience planning and conducting user research
- Experience designing for architecture, interior design, programming, AV systems projects.